Sunday, November 10, 2013

Be Selfish Not

Heeeeey! Happy Sunday everyone! :))

And so, having to wake up early is still a bummer. However, church was nice. :)

Something happened, something that I'll most definitely never forget. An elder sister approached me today on the first floor of our church asking me if I was to attend the assembly. Of course, I smiled and said yes. She invited me to attend the assembly. She invited ME to go up with HER.

I told her that I was waiting for my mom to come and so she waited with me. All the while I was thinking why she wouldn't go away, why I - of all people - had to go with her. Now, I probably sound like some random brat out there in the big world we all live in right now, but that's not the point!

We waited; my mom came. We all went up in the elevator, and she went in ahead of us, while I called my sister and friend to go down and sit with me. As the 3 of us youngsters went in the assembly hall, getting seated, I see her sitting a row in front of us.

After singing a couple of songs, we all get seated and wait for the message. While, I, on the other hand, could only think of one thing: "How much more selfish could I be?"  Why didn't I see that she just wanted someone to accompany her, someone to just be there for her? How could I not have seen in her eyes that she just needed a person to stay with her? What kind of Christian does this make me not helping the church? And this bothers me so much to the point of having to blog about it.

I've never been a fan of seeing old people walk in the streets with no one with them, yet how come I myself didn't do anything when it was already her who approached me. You know what guys, it's so easy to be bad. It's so easy to be selfish. Our innards are filled with impurities. But what can we get from being bad? Would brief happiness bring forth something good later on? Definitely not.

This experience has surely been an eye opener for me and one that I'll never forget. We are blinded with the evil that surrounds us, so why not move? Why not open our eyes to see the reality, the ugly sad truth of the world we live in right now? Why not try to make a difference rather than do nothing at all? We see things and want to change them, but do we act? I hope we can all learn from my experience and consider these questions every now and then.

If you liked this story, I hope you do share it to your friends, family, people you know at school or work, etc. so others can read about it too. As always, feel free to comment your thoughts down below, and I'll see you next time! Baiiiii! :))

XOXO
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment